Virginia Tech’s goals for the certification process are:
- Demonstrate Virginia Tech’s commitment to integrity in intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrate a level of excellence that is fully aligned with the University’s overall commitment to students, with regard to the education, graduation and welfare of student-athletes.
- Demonstrate that the goals and mission of the Department of Athletics are in every respect consistent with the goals and mission of the University.
- Educate the University community and the public regarding the goals and challenges of the Department of Athletics, as well as the demands placed upon athletes within the program.
- Evaluate the progress made with regard to the operating principles of the 1993 NCAA Convention in the areas of governance and commitment to rules compliance, academic integrity and equity and student-athlete well-being.
- Identify opportunities for the University and Department of Athletics to improve operations through a review of the NCAA Operating Principles.
- Create institutional plans for addressing each area identified as an opportunity for improvement.